The Hôtel de la Tresne was built from 1754 to 1758 by André Portier, a well-renowned and also favourite architect of the Intendant Tourny, at the request of the wealthy and demanding parliamentarian Jean-Baptiste Lecomte, Marquis de la Tresne.
In typical XVIIIth century style, Portier overlooked every detail from the marbles to the woodwork and gold ornaments in order to satisfy the luxurious tastes of the Marquis. At the Marquis' death, the property was first sold to Charles d'Augeard, President of the Parliament of Bordeaux, and later bought by the family of Doctor de Grassi.
In 1827, after a long stay in the United States, the Cardinal Jean Lefebvre de Cheverus was appointed as Archbishop of Bordeaux and moved to the Hôtel de la Tresne. He remained in the Hôtel until his death in July 1836.
The residence street was named after him.
In 1860, Gustave Gounouilhou acquired the residence to locate his offices and the printing plant of his two newspapers "La Gironde" and "La Petite Gironde". After he passed away, the Capon and Bouffard heirs successively lived in the property.
Jacques Lemoine, editor-in-chief of La Petite Gironde, moved into the residence in 1945 and founded the major regional newspapers "Sud Ouest".
Beyond the prestige of the address and of the site itself, the residence was commonly used for receptions given by journalists to host French and foreign politicians, like Jacques Chaban-Delmas and Alain Juppé, the actual Mayor of Bordeaux, but also important literary figures like Philippe Sollers and figures from the world of arts and entertainment like Alain Delon, Jerry Lewis, Brigitte Fossey…
The magnificent reception rooms hosted balls, parties and conferences to celebrate the journal. The family Lemoine continued to preside over the destinies of the newspapers until 2001, date at which Jean-François Lemoine, son of Jacques, died. The newspapers vacated the Hôtel de La Tresne in 2009.
Since that date, the residence, one of the most beautiful of Bordeaux, was restored with all the respect due to the splendours of its architecture: wooden floors, woodwork, cornices and rosettes, chimneys and tapestries were all restored with the greatest care.
After a century dedicated to journalism, this 18th-century residence reverted to its initial purpose and was again used as a prestigious private residence.